Boca Raton, FL Dog Bite Lawyer
If you were bitten by someone else’s dog, you should get in touch with a dog bite lawyer in Boca Raton, FL. You may be entitled to receive compensation. A lawyer can help you file a timely lawsuit and protect your legal rights.
Common Misconceptions About Dog Bites
Dogs are loved by many people in Florida. However, sometimes dogs can bite, whether out of fear or illness, and injure humans. Here are some common myths about dog bites that you should know about:
- Most dog bites occur from strange dogs. Believe it or not stray and strange dogs don’t make up the majority of dog bite cases. In fact, most people are bitten by a family member or friend’s dog. To minimize the risk of dog bites, always give dogs space before attempting to pet it.
- You can tell which dog will bite based on the breed. Many people assume that only certain dog breeds will bite, such as pit bulls and Rottweilers. The truth is, however, that dogs of any breed are capable of biting. That’s why you should always proceed with caution when approaching dogs you don’t know.
- Dogs get one free bite. In the state of Florida, there is no one dog bite rule. If you get bitten by a dog in Florida, the owner will be held liable for the damages, even if he or she didn’t know the dog had aggressive tendencies.
- You can file a lawsuit at any time. If you get bitten by a dog, you don’t have all the time in the world to file a legal claim. As a dog bite lawyer in Boca Raton, FL can confirm, you have four years from the date of the bite to pursue compensation. After that deadline is up, you no longer have the right to compensation.
- Insurance doesn’t cover dog bites. If you were bitten by a dog in someone’s home or apartment, you can likely recover damages from the person’s insurance company. Home and renters insurance policies often cover dog bite injuries.
What to Do After a Dog Bite
If you were bitten by a dog, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Even if the bite doesn’t seem too severe, you should still have a doctor check it out. You don’t want to risk an infection or other complications.
Then, you should discuss your case with an experienced dog bite lawyer. He or she can assess your case and determine if you have a good chance of recovering compensation.
Schedule a consultation with a dog bite lawyer in Boca Raton, FL today.