Our Palm Beach County injury attorney was saddened to hear about an elderly couple from Boca Raton who passed away in their home this week as the apparent result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The couple, whose names have not yet been released to the media, were in their 70s. Some friends of the couple came to their home to pick them up and drive them to the airport. Because the couple had a plane to catch and should have been ready to go, the friends quickly became alarmed when no one answered the door. Fearing that something was terribly wrong, they first attempted to trip the alarm in the home and then called police. According to the Palm Beach post, when police and fire rescue crews arrived on the scene and entered the home, they discovered the bodies of the two residents. They had apparently been dead for several days, and the carbon monoxide levels in the house were very high.
Stories like this one are always particularly difficult to accept because carbon monoxide poisoning can so easily be prevented. Carbon monoxide is a gas that cannot be seen or smelled. Therefore, a room could be filling up with carbon monoxide without anyone realizing it until it is too late. If the leak is slow enough, there may be some warning ahead of time in the form of headache, dizziness, nausea, and even disorientation or confusion. Having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is the ideal way to prevent poisoning. Carbon monoxide detectors are commercially available and relatively inexpensive, and they can be used to warn residents if carbon monoxide reaches an unsafe level in the home. It is, of course, important to test these detectors regularly and remember to replace the batteries. Continue reading “Tragic Florida Carbon Monoxide Accident Is Reminder to Take Precautions”