After suffering a burn injury, the issue many face is the time in recovery, the lack of earning and loss of wages. These can then cause other issues in their lives such as not being able to pay the medical bills and can even threaten your job, your home, your relationships, and livelihood. It is the aftermath that people need to be more aware of, and this is why it may be worth speaking with a burn injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL to find out if you have a case that can be filled and enable you to gain some compensation for the injuries that you have been subject to. Eric H. Luckman, P.A. provide legal advocacy for individuals in these situations.
Burn Injuries are a Common occurrence
No one expects to experience a burn injury. With modern technology and high safety standards, most Florida residents assume that the risk of being hurt in a fire or severe heat is miniscule. In reality, burns are not rare events, and they strike in many different settings. The risk of a burn injury is ever-present, and many Florida residents are harmed in this way on a daily basis.
According to the American Burn Association, nearly half a million Americans need medical treatment each and every year for burn-related injuries. In addition, upwards of 50,000 of those victims required hospitalization to recover.
When the underlying event which led to a burn was caused completely or partially by another individual’s mistakes, then the negligent party may be required to provide compensation to the victim. At Eric H. Luckman, P.A., a seasoned burn injury lawyer in west Palm Beach, FL., can help with the process.
Types of Burn Accidents
People suffer burns in a variety of ways. Some of the most common include:
- Building Fires – A home, office, or other building can catch fire for many reasons, from faulty wiring and oven malfunctions to gas leaks and cigarettes. When negligence causes the accident, then legal liability may be present.
- Cooking Fires – According to the U.S. Fire Administration, cooking accidents are the most common cause of home fires. Thousands of residents are severely injured each year in these accidents. At times the problem is rooted in dangerous kitchen products.
- Car Accidents – Following an auto collision, fires or severe heat may injure those in the damaged vehicles. All injuries suffered in an auto accident that was caused by another individual’s negligence, including burns, can lead to recovery under the civil law.
- Other Incidents – Other common situations where burns arise include exposure to toxic chemicals, defective tanning beds, space heater malfunctions, and grilling accidents.
Degrees of Burn Injuries
Burn symptoms vary depending on how deep the skin damage is. It can take a day or two for the signs and symptoms of a severe burn to develop. There are three different types of burn injuries all with varying severity when it comes to the treatment and recovery aspect:
- 1st-degree burn. This minor burn affects only the outer layer of the skin (epidermis). It may cause redness and pain. This is one of the most common types of burn injury.
- 2nd-degree burn. This type of burn affects both the epidermis and the second layer of skin (dermis). It may cause swelling and red, white or splotchy skin. Blisters may develop, and pain can be severe. Deep second-degree burns can cause scarring. This can be very severe.
- 3rd-degree burn. This burn reaches the fat layer beneath the skin. Burned areas may be black, brown or white. The skin may look leathery. Third-degree burns can destroy nerves, causing numbness. This is the most severe type of burn injury that you can experience.
Get Much Needed Compensation
Burn injuries frequently lead to sky-high medical bills, months (or years) of lost wages, extreme pain and suffering, mental anguish, long-term disability, and many other damages.
When the injury was caused in any way by the negligence of another–from faulty products to lax safety standards–then the law demands the negligent party provide compensation to those hurt.
Injuries resulting from an accident will impact all areas of a person’s life. If you suffer from an injury that was caused by someone else’s negligence then you need burn injury lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL., that focus on helping people recover. The burn injury lawyers at Eric H. Luckman, P.A. have experience and knowledge in helping accident victims recover much needed financial compensation. Contact us today.