Wrongful Death Lawyer
Finding an attorney to handle a specific type of case can be overwhelming. If you’re grieving the loss of a loved one, it might be even more difficult. If you believe that your loved one died wrongfully, you want a wrongful death attorney who can help you through the process of filing a lawsuit and negotiating a settlement. It might seem cold and calculated, but after the loss of a family member due to the negligence of someone else, you should be compensated. No amount of money can ever bring that person back, but you can be secure for the future.
Choosing an Attorney
Start by asking friends or family members for recommendations in the community. You can also call the American Bar Association for referrals to a wrongful death lawyer in your area. Look for someone local who knows the judges and other lawyers. If you’re part of a civic group or service organization, such as the Chamber of Commerce or Rotary, ask other members about lawyers they’ve worked with.
What to Ask a Wrongful Death Attorney
You may need to talk to a couple of lawyers before you actually sign a contract. You’ll want to find someone that you are comfortable with. You might need to share very intimate details with your attorney. Beyond that, you can ask these questions to get more information:
- How much experience does the attorney have in the specific aspects of your case? If you have a medical malpractice case, then you don’t want someone who specializes in workers’ compensation or auto accidents.
- How much time can your attorney devote to your case?
- Who will be working on the case? Will associates handle the claim or will the lawyer be managing the details? How will you be billed for the time?
- What do the online reviews say? Take the reviews with a grain of salt, especially if the lawyer has been around a while. No lawyer wins every single case he or she takes, so look for an overall satisfaction rate.
- Check the state bar association for any disciplinary actions against the lawyer.
Don’t Try to Handle a Wrongful Death Claim on Your Own
A wrongful death claim has many complex components. There are many factors that need to be proved to get a settlement. This isn’t something that you should try to go through on your own. Talk to an experienced lawyer who can help you through the process and find the best possible outcome.