Personal Injury Lawyer West Palm Beach, FL
Your Personal Injury Questions Answered by a Personal Injury Lawyer West Palm Beach, Florida Victims Can Trust
Do I need a personal injury attorney, or can I handle the injury claim on my own?
After a serious injury or accident, the last thing you need to do is stress how you are going to financially recover from this incident. If you were injured in an accident that was not your fault, a personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, from the Law Office of Eric H. Luckman, P.A. may be able to help you take the worry off your hands while working to acquire fair compensation for your lost wages and medical bills. As a personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL, Eric H. Luckman, P.A. has represented thousands of clients in the more than three decades that he has aggressively fought for their rights. When he is your attorney, he will fight just as hard on your behalf to negotiate the settlement you deserve.
I do not fully understand negligence and how it pertains to a personal injury case.
Negligence is when an individual or company fails to use proper care in situations where others could have easily foreseen a negative result, resulting in an injury or damage to another. Almost all personal injury cases are based on acts of negligence and require proof that because of a person’s or company’s carelessness, they harmed someone else. If you were injured as the result of someone else’s negligence, your personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, can file an injury claim on your behalf and seek compensation for your medical bills and other damages.
Please provide some examples of what qualifies for a personal injury case.
. Some of the most common examples of personal injury claims include:
- Slip and falls, either at work or at a place of business
- Defective Products
- Medical malpractice, including misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose a serious disease, birth injury, surgical errors, pharmaceutical mistakes, or improper treatment for a specific disorder.
- Car accidents
- Dog bites
The party who acted negligently could be held liable for your injuries, resulting in compensation for your medical costs, lost wages, and other damages.
When you consult a personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, from The Law Office of Eric H. Luckman, P.A., you can increase your chances of obtaining the fair compensation that you deserve.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have suffered a personal injury, one of your next steps should be to find the right West Palm Beach, Florida, personal injury lawyer to represent you. Personal injury claims are incredibly complex with a legal landscape that is difficult to navigate, so it helps to have someone with knowledge and experience on your side. With so many personal injury lawyers out there, it can seem impossible to choose the right one. That’s why it’s so important to ask the right questions during your initial interview. Here are some questions you should ask a personal injury lawyer you are considering hiring.
How Many Years of Experience Do You Have?
Experience is one of the most important things to look for in a personal injury lawyer. The more experience the lawyer has, the better they know the tricks of the trade. It is ideal to hire a personal injury lawyer who has at least 10 years of experience in the field. Eric Luckman has over 36 years of experience and is Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Civil Trial law.
What Area of Personal Injury Law Do You Specialize In?
Personal injury is a vast area of law. Just because a lawyer has experience in one area of personal injury law doesn’t mean they have experience in another. It’s important to work with a lawyer who specializes in your particular personal injury case. For example, if you’re the victim of medical malpractice – which requires an attorney that can afford to hire enough expert witnesses to help you win your case – you don’t want to hire a lawyer who only has experience handling car accident cases. You need one with a long history of experience and the funds to cover expenses associated with your case.
What Are the Strengths and Weaknesses in My Case?
If you don’t have a background in personal injury law, you might not be able to properly assess the strengths and weaknesses in your case. That’s when you need a personal injury lawyer from West Palm Beach, Florida, to serve as your guide. They can fully dissect your case and tell you not only the positives of it, but also make you aware of the challenges you may face. It’s a good idea to know of all the strengths and weaknesses of your ahead of time, so that you know what to expect, especially if the other side fails to settle, and your case goes to court.
How Many Other Cases Are You Working on Right Now?
Before you decide to hire a personal injury lawyer, you should find out their current caseload. If a lawyer is juggling a lot of cases at the moment, they might not have the necessary time to give your case the attention it deserves. While a busy lawyer may seem appealing because so many other people have invested their trust in him or her, it’s better to find a lawyer who has more time to devote to your case.
Why is the responsible person’s insurance company not covering my injury costs?
Unfortunately, when it comes to paying out on expensive claims, insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind. For this reason, without the help of a personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, they may try to offer you a lower settlement than what your case is worth, or they may refuse to settle at all. Two defense strategies that the insurance company may attempt to use include:
- Denial of Coverage. The insurance company may state that the accident is not covered under the at-fault party’s insurance policy, which would leave you responsible for the costs of both your injuries and other damages. An experienced personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, such as Eric H. Luckman, P.A. understands how to determine what the insurance carrier is responsible for paying. He will pursue every available avenue to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Denial of Liability. This is when the insurance company claims that their policyholder did not cause the accident or that the injuries you received were not the result of the accident. Your personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, can investigate your case and help prove that your injuries were indeed someone else’s fault and that they, as the responsible party, should be held accountable for those costs.
Types of Damages in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
A West Palm Beach, Florida, personal injury lawyer knows that a personal injury lawsuit stems from an act of negligence resulting in harm to another. The degree of the injury suffered by the plaintiff typically determines how much money will be recovered. In litigation, the amount of money a plaintiff gets from a defendant is called damages. A judge or jury award damages, and many times, the plaintiff has an amount in mind that they hope to receive. In a personal injury lawsuit, there are three different categories of damages a plaintiff may be entitled to, getting depending on the facts of the case.
- General Damages. General damages are not necessarily measurable. This damage category usually takes into account the emotional toll the injury has taken on the plaintiff. It can also account for future lost earnings if the plaintiff is unable to work in the same capacity or field, or in some case, unable to work at all. Pain, suffering, and anguish also fall under the category of general damages that may be awarded to a plaintiff. Loss of consortium claims – depriving family members of the benefits of their relationship – may also be lumped in under general damages. Loss of consortium has to do with a loss of benefits suffered by a spouse, children, or other dependents and/or close family members who rely on the plaintiff for most of their needs. When deciding general damages, the age, health, and lifestyle of the plaintiff prior to the injury are all taken into account.
- Compensatory Damages. The most common types of damages awarded in personal injury cases are those that can be tallied up, or compensatory. These include medical expenses, loss of income during the injury recovery period, and any property damage suffered during the incident. These damages must be well-documented costs and expenses. and may also include attorney fees in some states. When a personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, asks for compensatory damages, the amount that they seek is clear and based on bills received and prior pay stubs.
- Punitive Damages. Perhaps the most impactful or stunning damages awarded in a personal injury decision are punitive damages, handed down by a judge or jury as a form of punishment for the defendant. Since personal injury litigation is not civil, there may not be any jail time associated with the negligent behavior that led to the plaintiff’s injury. Thus, the judge or jury decides to award the plaintiff a large sum of money in punitive damages based on the degree of negligence in the case. Often this is meant to make a statement, and in many cases, the defendant may appeal this decision. While the funds may not get paid out, the implication of punitive damages receives the public’s attention, and will serve as a black mark on the reputation of the defendant.
Laws regarding the type and amount of damages that may be recovered in a personal injury case differ from state to state.
In Florida, the law states that punitive damages may be awarded if the defendant had prior knowledge of negligence or unlawful conduct – for example, if his or her dog had severely bitten someone else, before – and that knowledge can be clearly proven. An attorney also must prove if a defendant’s conduct showed blatant disregard for a plaintiff’s life or safety.
Therefore, getting the help of an experienced West Palm Beach, Florida, personal injury lawyer that you trust is in your best interest and will likely result in a larger settlement when pursuing this type of action.
Who should I contact for legal representation?
At the Law Office of Eric H. Luckman, P.A., we work diligently to help those who have been wrongfully injured. Are you looking for a skilled West Palm Beach, Florida, personal injury lawyer that residents trust? Many accident victims turn to the Law Office of Eric H. Luckman, P.A. when they need a dedicated West Palm Beach personal injury lawyer who can aggressively advocate for them to get the financial compensation they deserve.
Eric Luckman has more than three decades of experience fighting for injured victims. Because of his experience and success, he can use every available resource to help recover the damages related to your personal injury case to which you are entitled.
When you need a professional personal injury lawyer that West Palm Beach, Florida, clients depend on, look no further than Eric Luckman. Board certified by the Florida Bar Association since 1993, he was awarded the AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings and was also named as a Florida Super Lawyer in 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014-2020 – one of only 20 personal injury attorneys to receive such prestigious recognition.
How Can a West Palm Beach, Florida, Personal Injury Lawyer Locals Call Help?
If you have been injured in an accident caused by the negligence or recklessness of another party or parties, Florida law says that the at-fault party may be responsible for any costs that result from those injuries. This can include any medical costs for treatment of your injuries, including doctors’ visits, surgeries, physical therapy, and medication.
If your injury has caused you to miss time from work or is still preventing you from working, you are also entitled to receive financial compensation for those lost wages. If you used work benefits to cover that missed time – such as vacation days or paid personal time – that can also be included in your personal injury claim.
In many accident cases, the victim is left with permanent disabilities and is unable to return to the same work they were performing before the accident. That loss of future income can also be awarded to the victim in a personal injury case.
Other losses that may be included in your personal injury claim do not necessarily have dollar amounts attached to them, but nevertheless, the law says that the at-fault party is responsible for these losses as well. These types of damages can include pain and suffering, emotional anguish, loss of the ability to enjoy the daily activities you used to be able to do, and loss of companionship.
We Can Help
There are many different types of accident cases that Attorney Luckman has successfully handled for clients. They include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Premises liability
- Construction site accidents
- Workplace injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Inadequate security
- Product liability
- Wrongful death.
Contact a Professional Personal Injury Lawyer West Palm Beach, Florida Victims Can Count On
If you would like to meet with a seasoned personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach, Florida, call attorney Eric Luckman to set up an appointment to discuss the details of your case and find out what legal recourse you may have.
Contact us today at (561) 867-6010 for a free case evaluation.