If you were hurt in a motorcycle accident, you may want to speak to a motorcycle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL trusts, such as Eric H. Luckman, P.A.. He has helped other motorcycle accident victims obtain compensation in the past and may be able to assist you. Eric fights hard for his clients so that they get the justice they deserve.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents occur every day in Florida. If you’re considering contacting a motor vehicle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL trusts, your accident may have been caused by one of the following:
- Opening Car Doors: A motor vehicle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL relies on could see motorcycle accidents that result from opening car doors. If a driver opens the door of his or her parked car and a motorcycle drives by, an accident can occur. The motorcyclist may slam into the car door and get severely injured. To avoid this, it’s important for drivers to make sure there are no oncoming motorcycles or other vehicles before opening their car doors.
- Speeding: When drivers drive above the speed limit, they may reduce their reaction times and crash into other vehicles, including motorcycles.
- Lane Splitting: When traffic is slow, some motorcyclists drive their motorcycles between lanes. This is legal in many states but, as a motor vehicle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL respects could attest, it’s also a dangerous practice that can lead to accidents. Drivers may not always see motorcyclists pulling up next to them.
- Cars Making Left Hand Turns: A car might crash into a motorcycle during a left hand turn if the motorcyclist tries to pass the car or go straight through an intersection.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles and don’t offer as much protection, so motorcyclists are in danger of suffering serious injuries during accidents. Here are some of the common motorcycle accident injuries a motorcycle accident lawyer in Delray Beach FL may see with clients:
- Head Injuries: Traumatic brain injuries and other head injuries are one of the most dangerous injuries motorcyclists can suffer during accidents. If a motorcyclist’s head gets hit, he or she may be in danger of suffering permanent brain damage. It’s important to the hospital right away if your head has been hit during a motorcycle accident.
- Leg Injuries: While leg injuries are seldom fatal, they can still result in a lot of pain or even become disabling. The legs may suffer bruises and cuts or even break during a motorcycle accident. Wearing protective leather clothing and knee pads can reduce your risk of leg injuries during an accident.
- Road Rash: During a motorcycle crash, it’s common for a motorcyclist to fly over the handlebars and slide across the pavement. This can result in serious skin injuries, like bruises, cuts and even infections. If you suffered road rash, get it cleaned and treated by a doctor to avoid infection and other complications.
- Biker’s Arm: Biker’s arm is another common injury a motorcycle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL respects sees in his clients. It occurs when a motorcyclist throws one arm in front of the body to lessen impact. The nerves in the arm can get permanently damaged. Motorcyclists who wear sturdy jackets and elbow pads can protect themselves from serious damage.
Statute of Limitations
If you were hurt in a motorcycle accident, you only have a certain amount of time to file a lawsuit or have your motor vehicle accident lawyer in Delray Beach FL file one for you. In Florida, the statute of limitations to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit is four years. If you don’t file a claim within that time period, you might not be able to collect compensation for your injuries.
To get the process started as soon as possible, it’s important to talk to a motor vehicle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL counts on immediately. Your lawyer can look over all the evidence in your case and determine how to create a strong argument. The sooner you speak to a Delray Beach motor vehicle accident lawyer, the sooner you can put all of this behind you and move on.
How Damages in a Motorcycle Accident Are Calculated
Damages in a motorcycle accident cases are divided into compensatory damages and damages not capable of exact calculation. Compensatory damages include damages that can be calculated to the dollar, such as past and future medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.
Damages that can’t be calculated to the exact dollar, such as pain and suffering, are more difficult to get awarded in court. During trials, judges instruct jury members to use their own judgment when deciding on how much compensation to award for pain and suffering.
In your meeting with a motorcycle vehicle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL offers, they may estimate how much compensation you could receive from a settlement.
Questions to Ask a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
During your initial consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL counts on, it’s important to ask questions about his skills and experience. Doing this will help you determine if he is the right lawyer for you. Here are several questions you may want to ask:
- How many motorcycle accident cases have you handled? To improve your chances of getting favorable results, it’s important to work with a lawyer with plenty of experience.
- How much is my case worth? A Delray Beach motor vehicle accident lawyer can evaluate different factors of your case, such as the cost of your medical bills and lost wages, to determine how much compensation you should expect to recover?
- What is your contingency fee? The majority of motorcycle accident lawyers work on a contingency basis, so ask your motorcycle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL depends on what his contingency fee is.
If you are searching for a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer Delray Beach FL offers, contact Eric H. Luckman, P.A. at (561) 737-3133.