If you were involved in a boat accident, you may want to contact a boating accident lawyer Delray Beach FL trusts. You may be entitled to compensation and the Law Office of Eric H. Luckman, P.A. may help you obtain it.
According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida leads the nation in having almost 1 million registered vessels. Unfortunately, Florida also leads the nation in the number of reported boating fatalities each year. Injuries associated with boating accidents tend to be serious injuries, due to the speed that boats are capable of and the fact the occupants of a boat are unrestrained. Head injuries and fractures are common injuries related to boating accidents.
Different laws apply to boating accident cases depending on where the accident occurs. In some cases, Florida negligence law applies. In other cases, Federal Maritime law applies. Accidents aboard cruise ships may involve yet another set of laws.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
Boating accidents might not be as common as car accidents, but they still occur. While weather plays a part in some boating accidents, many other accidents are caused by user error.
- Intoxication: When people are out boating, it isn’t uncommon for them to enjoy an alcoholic beverage or two. Unfortunately, boat operators sometimes partake in the drinking too, which can result in accidents. If a boat operator is intoxicated, he or she can lose focus and may crash into other boats in the water.
- Distracted Driving: Boat operators are often surrounded by family members or friends in their boats. If they chat too much, they may get distracted and lose focus of what is ahead, causing an accident. A boating accident lawyer Delray Beach FL can provide may help you obtain compensation if you were injured in a distracted driving incident.
- Equipment Failure: It’s important for boat owners to keep their boats properly maintained. If they neglect to keep their boat’s engine, communications system, steering system, and other parts in good working condition, their boats are more likely to experience an equipment malfunction in the water.
- Speeding: Boating operators who drive at an excessive speed may have trouble making safe turns and may increase the likelihood of crashing.
- Inexperience: Operating a boat is different than operating a car. Many people don’t receive the proper training before operating a boat and may know how to drive it properly. Inexperienced boat operators may be more likely to get into accidents in the water.
Statute of Limitations for Boating Accident Lawsuits
The statute of limitations in Florida to sue a negligent boat operator is four years. After that amount of time has passed, you no longer have the right to bring a lawsuit against the negligent operator. For this reason, it may be in your best interest to hire a boating accident lawyer Delray Beach FL relies on to take your case as soon as possible.
Contact a Boating Accident Lawyer Delray Beach FL Respects
If you take your case to a Delray Beach boating accident lawyer right away, it may give him or her plenty of time to find the necessary evidence and build a strong case against the boat operator who hit you. The sooner you get the process started with the help of a boating accident lawyer in Delray Beach FL, the sooner you may obtain the compensation you deserve and put this all behind you.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one due to a boating accident, please feel free to call me to discuss your case. To schedule a free consultation with Eric Luckman, a boating accident lawyer Delray Beach FL counts on, call our local office today at (561) 737-3133.